Physical Activity Advisor
- WheelPower-British Wheelchair Sport
- £100 per day
- Closing Date
- 18 July 2019
- Interview Date
- 30 July 2019
- Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre, Salisbury District Hospital
WheelPower is looking for a highly motivated Physical Activity Advisor to work alongside the team at the spinal unit. The person will provide patients with information about sport and physical activity and encourage them to take part in organised activities as part of their rehabilitation.
WheelPower is the national charity for wheelchair sport based at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, Buckinghamshire. They provide opportunities, facilities, expertise and equipment that enable disabled people to participate in sport and physical activity and lead healthy active lives.
The Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre is responsible for the acute and lifelong care of all adult patients in the South and South West of England with traumatic and non-progressive spinal cord injury.
You will have an understanding of the sector, as well as a desire to work within sport for disabled people and a passion for helping newly disabled people to lead healthy active lives after injury.
This role requires someone to work 1 day (7.5hrs) per week, every Friday, for 52 weeks. This may include some evenings, weekends and public holidays as required. It may be possible to split this into two afternoons, every Friday plus one other day of the week.
Purpose of the job:
• To provide advice about physical activity to patients and staff within the spinal injury centre.
• To provide information and advice to out-patients about physical activity opportunities at follow up clinics.
• To provide information for former patients on physical activity opportunities. • To support staff in the provision and promotion of physical activity in the Spinal Cord Injury Centre.
• To support patients by providing a buddy service.
• To liaise and provide links to external organisations that may be able to support the Spinal Cord Injury Centre to reduce the time demand on staff.
• To support the creation of additional physical activity opportunities.
• To assist the Spinal Cord Injury Centre to recruit volunteers for support activity sessions. To promote membership of WheelPower for regular communication and promotion of opportunities.
• To support a qualitative research project in regards to the benefits of physical activity to patients.
Key responsibilities / outcomes:
• To provide advice and expertise on physical activity and wheelchair sport.
• To liaise with WheelPower’s Head of Sport and Physical Activity to provide links to external organisations to assist in the provision of sport and physical activity.
• To promote WheelPower’s free membership to patients.
• To be the link between WheelPower and the Spinal Cord Injury Centre.
• To maintain the WheelPower information stand within the Spinal Cord Injury Centre. • To support Duke of Cornwall Spinal Injuries Unit participation at the Inter Spinal Unit Games.
• To create additional physical activity opportunities.
• To increase the number of volunteers supporting activity.
• To provide support to sport and physical activity provision at the Spinal Cord Injury Centre.
• To provide advice to staff at the Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre, Salisbury District Hospital on wheelchair sport and opportunities.
• To provide a ‘buddy’ service to patients to support them in attendance to rehabilitation sessions.
• To be a positive role model for patients.
• To capture, monitor and evaluate the sport and physical activity provision, and submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports to WheelPower as required.
• Knowledge/experience of Spinal Cord Injury Centres
• Advocate of leading an active lifestyle
• Knowledge of Spinal Cord Injury and rehabilitation
• Good knowledge of sport and physical activity
• Good administration skills
• IT skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with patients and a range of stakeholders
• Proactive approach to supporting patients
How to apply
Download an application pack at www.wheelpower.org.uk/jobs or contact Pasan Kularatne, Head of Sport and Physical Activity, WheelPower for an informal discussion about the role by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0788 9716 669. https://www.wheelpower.org.uk/physical-activity-adviser-salisbury