Activity Alliance Annual Disability and Activity Survey (Feb 2021)
Evidence shows disabled people’s lives have been the hardest hit by COVID-19. Our second Annual Survey reveals the stark impact of this crisis on disabled people’s activity levels.
Activity Alliance’s Annual Disability and Activity Survey was launched in 2019 to provide a greater understanding about disabled people’s attitudes towards and involvement in sport and physical activity. Now, in its second year, the survey plays a crucial role. It helps to uncover the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on disabled people’s motivations and ability to be active.
Activity Alliance’s Annual Disability and Activity Survey complements Sport England’s Active Lives Adult Survey. With the focus on disabled people, this report goes into greater detail on perceptions, experiences and important issues. (Activity Alliance with support from Sport England comissioned this project.)
This year's survey results show how the pandemic is not only widening existing inequalities for disabled people but creating new ones too.
- Twice as many disabled people felt that coronavirus greatly reduced their ability to do sport or physical activity compared to non-disabled people (27% vs 13%).
- The pandemic has made disabled people feel that they do not have the opportunity to be as active as they want to, compared to non-disabled people (29% vs 44%).
- Respondents said the lack of activity has led to both their physical and mental health being harder to manage. Feelings of loneliness and social isolation were frequently voiced.
- A fear of contracting the virus (35% vs 13%), the impact on their health (31% vs 13%), a lack of space (23% vs 18%) and support to be able to exercise safely at home (16% vs 5%), have become significant barriers for disabled people, compared to non-disabled people.
- Almost a quarter of disabled people stated that they had not received enough information about how to be active during the pandemic (23% vs 13%).
Download the research report below and join the conversation on social media using #ActivityAllianceSurvey. Find us on Twitter @AllForActivity.
Download Annual Disability and Activity Survey 2020-21 here:
A video presentation and summary of the key findings in easy read format and British Sign Language translation is available on our annual survey page.